AGP Picks
View all

New York court blocks NCAA ban on Vincent Iwuchukwu for 2026-27 season

Aug. 18, 2026
By AI, Created 19:49 UTC, Aug 18, 2026, AGP -

A Queens County Supreme Court judge granted an emergency restraining order that temporarily stops the NCAA from ruling Vincent Iwuchukwu ineligible for Division I men’s basketball during the 2026-27 academic year. The move protects St. John’s and Iwuchukwu from NCAA penalties for now and sets a Sept. 1 hearing on whether a longer injunction should follow.

Why it matters: - The order keeps Vincent Iwuchukwu eligible to practice and compete while the 2026-27 NCAA men’s basketball season begins. - The ruling also protects St. John’s coaches, compliance staff and teammates from NCAA retaliation for following the court order. - The court said a lost season cannot be restored later, making timing critical as rosters close.

What happened: - The Supreme Court of the State of New York, Queens County, granted an emergency temporary restraining order against the NCAA and its president, Charles D. Baker. - Hon. Denise N. Johnson, J.S.C., signed the order. - The order bars the NCAA from declaring Iwuchukwu ineligible for Division I men’s basketball during the 2026-27 academic year. - The order also prevents the NCAA from directing any member institution or conference to block Iwuchukwu from practice or competition. - The NCAA must appear in court on Sept. 1, 2026, and show cause why a preliminary injunction should not issue for the full academic year.

The details: - The court temporarily restrains enforcement of NCAA Bylaw 12.6, known as the Five-Year Eligibility Rule, against Iwuchukwu. - The order also blocks the NCAA from excluding the 2022 recruiting cohort from the eligibility model the NCAA revised in June 2026, as applied to Iwuchukwu. - The lawsuit argues that the NCAA’s June 2026 eligibility change shut out athletes in the 2022 cohort. - Iwuchukwu enrolled at the University of Southern California in 2022 as a highly ranked recruit. - In July 2022, he suffered sudden cardiac arrest during a summer workout before playing a college game. - Team staff revived Iwuchukwu with CPR and a defibrillator. - He returned to game action in January 2023 after about six months of recovery. - The eligibility clock continued to run during his recovery under the Five-Year Eligibility Rule. - The filing says the season lost to the cardiac event should not count the same as a normal year of participation. - Iwuchukwu has also been associated with Georgetown and is likely to join St. John’s University, where he previously played. - Iwuchukwu is represented by Ivan Parron of PARRON LAW | Entertainment + Sports, Brandon Leopoldus of Leopoldus Law, APC and Oscar Michelen of Michelen Law, P.C.

Between the lines: - The dispute is about whether NCAA eligibility rules can be applied rigidly to an athlete who missed a season because of a medical emergency. - The court’s emergency ruling signals that timing and fairness may matter as much as the underlying eligibility rule. - The case also tests whether the NCAA can revise its model in a way that leaves one recruiting class behind. - The lawyers cast the case as a broader challenge to midstream rule changes affecting athletes already in the system.

What's next: - The NCAA will argue on Sept. 1, 2026, against a preliminary injunction. - A longer order could keep Iwuchukwu eligible throughout the entire 2026-27 academic year. - The underlying case is Vincent C. Iwuchukwu v. National Collegiate Athletic Association and Charles D. Baker, as President of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, Index No. 724294/2026, in Queens County Supreme Court.

The bottom line: - For now, Iwuchukwu can keep preparing for the season while the court weighs whether the NCAA’s eligibility rules should be enforced against him at all.

Disclaimer: This article was produced by AGP Wire with the assistance of artificial intelligence based on original source content and has been refined to improve clarity, structure, and readability. This content is provided on an “as is” basis. While care has been taken in its preparation, it may contain inaccuracies or omissions, and readers should consult the original source and independently verify key information where appropriate. This content is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial, investment, or other professional advice.

Sign up for:

Washington D.C. Political Reporter

The daily local news briefing you can trust. Every day. Subscribe now.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms & Conditions.

Share this page:

Advanced Search Options

Search for:

Search scope:

Type:

Search in:

Date range:

The last

Sort by:

Sign up for:

Washington D.C. Political Reporter

The daily local news briefing you can trust. Every day. Subscribe now.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms & Conditions.